LENTIL & NUT LOAF RECIPE
This lentil and nut loaf is the perfect vegetarian main and goes really well with any other vegetable sides you have. It takes a while to make but is definitely worth the time. You can prep it a few days in advance and reheat on christmas day, add any leftovers to salads or freeze it in slices for healthy meals in January.
makes 1x2LB loaf tin (approximately 19 x 12 x 9cm deep)
prep time: 25mins
cook time: 45-55 mins
2 tbsp good quality oil
50g/1/2 a large red onion, finely diced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
spices - 1/4 tsp ground coriander and smoked paprika
150g/2 carrots, peeled and diced
60g frozen peas
50g lentils, rinsed
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
herbs - small handful of fresh rosemary, parsley and thyme, chopped finely
300ml vegetable stock (use 1/2 a stock cube)
80g mixed nuts
25g/1 small slice of spelt bread/other bread of choice (you can use the crust)
flax egg - 2 tbsp milled flax seed mixed with 4 tbsp water, stirred & let set for 10 minutes.
salt and pepper to taste
- firstly prepare all the vegetables and the flaxseed egg and set aside.
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- blitz the bread and nuts in a food processor to make breadcrumbs and nut flour
- heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium-low heat
- add the onions and cook for 5 minutes
- add the minced garlic and spices and cook for a further 60 seconds
- add the carrots, peas, lentils and stock and bring to a gentle simmer. cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- when more of the liquid has absorbed, stir in the herbs, vinegar, breadcrumbs and nut flour. then add the flaxseed egg.
- Stir everything together on a very low heat til it’s all combined. Taste and season to your preference. The mixture should be wet and sticky but not runny. If it seems dry add a splash of water.
- Pour into a bread tin lined with parchment paper
- Roast for 45-55 minutes until a fork inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool for 15 minutes before placing a chopping board on top and flipping the loaf tin upside down. Slice into 8 thick slices and serve with lots of other seasonal roast vegetables and cranberry sauce. We will be sharing more recipes for these over the next week!